Me

Me

Monday, January 18, 2010

Heartland Poker Tour at Red Rock

Played my first live events of the year this past weekend. I had seen a couple of the Heartland Poker Tour Final Tables on TV. This tour is centered in the Midwest and offers satellite only prelims into typically a $1000 to $1500 Main Event. You can just outright cash buy in to the Main, but the prelims really force a satellite in structure.

I had interest in this because I had heard the play was fairly weak and I felt an interesting dynamic brewing between Red Rock(Stations) and Heartland. Until a couple of weeks ago there had been almost no local Vegas interest or advertising. No one at Red Rock really knew what to expect in terms of number of players etc. On the other hand, Heartland was pumping this event on its website, was flying in over 200 players between four air charters from various Midwest cities and promoting this as its Vegas Vacation.

What occurred included a sold out $250 Mega Friday night and a sold out Main Event on Saturday. I was locked out of the Main.

I play both the Thursday and Friday $250 Megas. Thursday I was cruising along and we were down to 60 or so with 29 seats up for grabs, Got it in with 10's unfortunately against Jacks, was crippled and busted 50th. Played next to Marlon Shirley, the worlds fastest para-athlete who got some good face time during the WSOP- Helluva of nice guy. David Plastik was also at my table for a bit with a real short stack and was jamming it all in. I know he was jamming light but no cards to show him down.

Friday the Mega was a joke and I ended up in the pit next to the loudest bar in the place. Table started 10 handed went to 9 back to 10 and then up to 11 in Level 3. Back to 11 was to accommodate some dude who had satellited in but was locked out. He was threatening to call the gambling board and they let him in. What a joke. Really should have been out in Level 4 with AQ diamonds all in against aces on J107 board two diamonds. Caught the case K on the River to double up. Lost a bunch of chips again with 10's against Jacks. Jammed my last 8 BBS with A10 suited into Aces and out the door.

Heartland is an interesting concept and looks like its growing within the Midwest. Most players are older not that great but friendly as hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment